SARANAY is a Filipino maxim, which means "to help and to serve others". Our association welcomes all nationalities, not only Filipinos, who share deeply rooted values of caring, and compassion for our fellowmen.
Over the past 40 years, Saranay has brought benefits to Filipinos and their families, including youth, adult, and senior population through the following activities/events:
- Saranay Scholarship on the Studies of Southeast Asia at the University of Alberta
- Philippine Educational Endowment with Grant MacEwan University
- Filipino Language and Culture School of Edmonton - Filipino Language & Culture from Grades 4 to 12, accredited by Alberta Education
- Youth and Senior's Sports Tournament
- Saranay Performing Arts Group - Rondalla (indigenous string ensemble) and Choral for the youths, adults, and seniors
- Casino Fund Raising
- Provincial, National, International Musical and Educational Tour and Ambassadorship Trips to the Philippines, USA, and Europe
- Professional and Educational Development for Teachers
- Edmonton Filipino Fiesta
- Edmonton Heritage Festival
- Kaleido Festival
- Member of CEFA, Congress of the Philippine-Associations of Alberta, Changing Together, Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, and International & Heritage Languages Association
- Youth/Adult/Seniors Workshops on Conflict Resolution
- Relief Program for victims of natural disasters
- Fund raising concert for World Youth Day in Krakow, Poland
- Cob's BBQ Fundraisers
- Educational/Computer/Medical equipments Contributions to the Philippines
In 2012, the association has launched a fund-raising campaign soliciting support from individuals, public, and private business donors and corporations through the Power of Dance (a dance competition event) under the sponsorship of 3J Variety Store (Lixmila Serrano). The goal is to raise $25,000 to send books, clothes, computers, medical supplies to indigenous families in La Union and Baguio City. In addition, Saranay has sponsored a Karaoke Fundraising Event hosted by K-soda Dance Crew to support the flood victims of Brgy. Caingin, Sta. Rosa, Laguna.
Fundraising is on going for the sustainability of the above activities.
The Filipino-Canadian Saranay Association has proven its ability to build capacity and sustainability in the areas of volunteerism, education, music and performing arts through youth and adult programs. Over the course of Saranay’s history, the association have provided outstanding entertainment to many audiences locally and internationally. For four decades, Saranay has committed not only to preserving the Filipino culture.
Our Mission is to help and to serve Filipinos in Edmonton and surrounding communities to reach their potential in order to become better citizens of Canada